Women in Quote: Moms, Sisters, Daughters...



I was reading this book called, Music, Sense and Nonsense: Collected Essays and Lectures, by Alfred Brendel and a line caught my attention. A line that’s very riveting, and kind of beautifully put. It says "When I glimpse the backs of women's knees I seem to hear the first movement of Beethoven's "Pastoral Symphony.” The author was unknown, but it was someone from daily mail. Of course it has to do with music, but Pastoral Symphony, to music connoisseurs is heaven. A musician would relate to this, and it’s not that women who should feel proud to be analogous to the symphony, but the symphony, per se, that should. 

While I was reading Persuasion, in my sophomore year in the university of “Liberal Arts”, I was fond of collecting and using Austen’s quotes in my presentations. And there was this beautiful quote that says “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.” It’s just so asinine, that people ( I don’t want to blame the Habitus this time, cuz it’s very conspicuous) still think that women are irrational, and more of sentimental creatures. It’s sad to be honest, women as Saddam Hussein said in one of his speeches, are one half of society.

I’m sincerely sad for women in my entourage, the double-bind they constantly encounter, their unrelenting caution with the male gaze, and the stupid, scathing harassments. I’m so sad and helpless, but all I can do is, not be one of those predators who feed off gazing at flesh, ruining women’s days, forgetting about their moms, their sisters, and potential daughters. Women in my entourage are patsies of society, they endure much more than I can possibly think of with the slightest opprobrious remark. 

I also want to talk about this brave woman, who’s the reason in an outbreak of the suffragette movement in UK. Emily Wilding Davison, a dauntless lady who, presumably, scarified herself to make women’s voice heard to the king, who was intentionally blinking an eye from women’s cause. Her gesture ( falling at a horse-racing Derby under the hooves of the King’s horse) was eulogized as an act of martyrdom, bravery, and allegiance to women’s cause. Of course I’m not here to condemn such acts, it’s stupid, but for women at the times, it was barely an emblem to root and care for women’s welfare and wellbeing. A selfless act that her, and lot of other women, who sacrifieced their careers not to behoove themselves but to behoove women of the future. This shows that women’s solidarity, can bring about the most uncalled-for change ever. 

You know what’s better than a recount of women’s historical achievements, my mom, and sisters. My favorite person in the world, the one I’d literally die for, My Mama. If , in any way I respected women since my childhood, it’d be mom who sparked that attitude in me. I’ve always looked at women as equal to men. Thanks to my father. And I’ve always loved women for what they do to their kids and families, thanks to my mother. She is the only person that stays up, when I have a toothache, a migraine, an existential crisis, a writer’s block, or if she sees the light coming out of my room. She makes sure I sleep before she does, or at the least, I am fine in fettle. I’d never reimburse her for what she had given me. I’m burgeoned in a masculine society, and it’s hard for me to express my feelings for her, but mom, who-ever-is-up-there only knows how much love I got for you. I’m pouring my heart over this blog, with drops of tear in my eyes. I respect you, and my sisters, and every woman, with good intentions, who educates her children and makes sure they’re brought up to be epitomes of compassion, love and harmony. I respect prostitues who are compelled to do whatever they do, not with their own will. I respect waitresses, vendors, tailors, teachers, nurses, doctors, and even housewives. Alas! for homeless women, who have kids. I’m not celebrating this day, but I take it as a reminder of women’s unconditional role in this world. Thank you all, thanks to every female in my life, you are fabulous and you have what it takes to change the world. 


Kudos to every woman in this world. Alas! We live in an unfair world where meaning is found, debunked, and exercised through women’s bodies.

Comments